HUNTINGTON, W.Va -- The Belmont Bruins finished in 4th place at the Thundering Herd Invitational hosted by Marshall University.
It was an extremely solid day for the Bruins, and it was a team performance that was praised by Directory of Cross Country and Track & Field: Jeff Langdon as he addressed the team on the bus ride back to Nashville, in which he told the Bruins they gave "a good team effort."
The story of the day for the women's side was the team effort in the 5000 Meter Run. For the first time in team history, four girls finished under 18 minutes. The Bruins made up the top three in the 5K run, with junior Kortney Schardt winning the event with a personal best of 17:22.59, followed by senior Courtney Alama and sophomore Claire Cheeseman. Sierra Lax finished in 8th while also beating the 18 minute mark.
Along with the impressive performance for Belmont in the 5K run was the performance in the 400 Meter Dash by sophomore Payton Barlow. The Tennessee native finished set herself a personal record of 57:00 in the 400 Meter Dash. This comes after setting a PR in the previous meet, in which she finished with a time of 57.14 at the Vanderbilt Invitational.
Karly Hibbard, the senior from Edmons, Wash. and school shot put record holder, had a big day in the Shot Put, as she finished in 2nd place.
After reaching a PR in her previous meet, sophomore Jeannette Morley finished in 5th place in the High Jump and cleared the bar at 1.58 meters high.
Freshman Maeve Carei from Uniontown, Pa., had a big meet this weekend, as she competed in her first collegiate event. Her debut showed lots of great potential for the newest Bruin, as she finished 6th in the Pole Vault.
Belmont's next competition will be at the MTSU Invite in Murfreesboro, Tenn. on Saturday February 2.
4. Belmont, 54.50
400 Meter Dash
7. Payton Barlow, Sophomore, 57.00 PR
19. Caroline Pruitt, Sophomore, 59.70
28. Annelise Doerr, Senior, 1:01.70
30. Katrina Quigley, Junior, 1:02.42
1 Mile Run
11. Ruth Wiggins, Sophomore, 5:10.17
28. Taylor Cuneo, Freshman, 5:25.14
3000 Meter Run
5. Halle Hausman, Sophomore, 10:17.82
5000 Meter Run
1. Kortney Schardt, Junior, 17:22.59 PR
2. Courtney Alama, Senior, 17:30.91
3. Claire Cheeseman, Sophomore, 17:43.93
8. Sierra Lax, Junior, 17:53.20
60 Meter Hurdles
18. Caroline Pruitt, Sophomore, 9.42
4x400 Meter Relay
5. Jeanette Morley, Sophomore, 1.58m
6. Maeve Carei, Freshman, 3.05m
2. Karly Hibbard, Senior, 13.52m
14. Maja Gustafsson, Freshman, 10.36m
4. Jessica Mattson, Freshman, 16.07