CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Belmont women's tennis picked up a 4-0 neutral-site sweep over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Sunday evening at Governors Tennis Center.
The tandem of sophomore Somer Henry and junior Terra Sheldon opened doubles play with a 6-3 victory in the No. 3 spot. Meanwhile, the duo of junior Erin Allen and sophomore Peyton Lee clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win in the first position.
The two teams played to clinch in the singles competition, as the Bruins went on to sweep the contest with three straight-set victories.
Henry scored a 6-3, 6-2 win over Cora-Lynn von Dungern in the No. 1 singles spot, as Lee finished off Tristen Bryant-Otake 7-6, 6-1 from the second position. Junior Drew Hawkins wrapped up Belmont's clinch with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Lauren Bernardos from the No. 4 spot. The Bruins have now swept the Hilltoppers in each of their last two meetings, as they defeated Western Kentucky 7-0 on Feb. 2, 2019.
UP NEXT: Belmont (4-2) takes a small break before a road matchup with its cross-town rival Lipscomb on Friday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m.
BELMONT 4, WESTERN KENTUCKY 0
1. Somer Henry (BEL) def. Cora-Lynn von Dungern (WKU) – 6-3, 6-2
2. Peyton Lee (BEL) def. Tristen Bryant-Otake (WKU) – 7-6, 6-1
3. Erin Allen (BEL) vs. Lauren Joch (WKU) – unfinished
4. Drew Hawkins (BEL) def. Laura Bernardos (WKU) – 6-3, 6-1
5. Terra Sheldon (BEL) vs. Lisa Friess (WKU) – unfinished
6. Maria Plaksina (BEL) vs. Lucia Diaz Saez (WKU) – did not play