CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team handled the USC Upstate Spartans by a final score of 6-1 Sunday morning at the Strang-Voges Tennis Center.
The Bruins (3-2) kicked off the day with a sweep of the doubles competition, as the sophomore tandem of Somer Henry and Peyton Lee clinched with a 6-3 victory in the No. 1 spot. The junior duo of Erin Allen and Terra Sheldon captured the win in the third position by a 6-1 margin.
Henry and Lee finished off Elin Hellberg and Maria Jardim of the Spartans (1-3) in straight-sets from the one and two spot in singles. Junior Drew Hawkins continued Belmont's success with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Roberta Armani.
After they each fell in the opening set, Sheldon and junior Maria Plaksina logged a pair of dramatic comeback wins from the fourth and fifth position to cement the Bruins' victory.
UP NEXT: Belmont stays on the road for a Sunday matchup with Western Kentucky on Feb. 9. First serve is set for 1 p.m. in Bowling Green, Ky.
BELMONT 6, USC UPSTATE 1
1. Somer Henry (BEL) def. Elin Hellberg (UPST) – 6-3, 6-1
2. Peyton Lee (BEL) def. Maria Jardim (UPST) – 7-6, 6-1
3. Gabriela Cevallos (UPST) def. Erin Allen (BEL) – 7-5, 7-5
4. Drew Hawkins (BEL) def. Roberta Armani (UPST) – 6-0, 6-4
5. Terra Sheldon (BEL) def. Morgan Valentine (UPST) – 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Maria Plaksina (BEL) def. Laura Illanes (UPST) – 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Lee/Henry (BEL) def. Hellberg/Jardim (UPST) – 6-3
2. Carelli/Hawkins (BEL) def. Armani/Cevallos (UPST) – 5-2
3. Allen/Sheldon (BEL) def. Illanes/Valentine – 6-1