CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team fell to the Chattanooga Mocs, 5-2, at the Strang-Voges Tennis Center Friday evening.
After dropping the first match of doubles, the sophomore duo of Peyton Lee and Somer Henry knotted the competition up for the Bruins with a 6-4 win in the No. 1 spot. Still, the Mocs came away with the doubles point, as sophomore Lauren Carelli and junior Drew Hawkins dropped a 7-6 battle in the No. 2 position.
Lee grabbed Belmont's first single victory on the day at the second spot with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Caroline Gibbens of Chattanooga. The Mocs clinched the overall victory on court one, as Henry dropped in a three-set battle to Chattanooga's Jessie Young. Junior Erin Allen closed out the night by grabbing a singles point for the Bruins in the No. 2 position 6-4, 6-1.
UP NEXT: Belmont (2-2) stays in Chattanooga to take on USC Upstate at Strang-Voges Tennis Center on Sunday. First serve is set for 9 a.m.
CHATTANOOGA 5, BELMONT 2
1. Jessie Young (UTC) def. Somer Henry (BEL) – 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Peyton Lee (BEL) def. Caroline Gibbens (UTC) – 6-4, 6-1
3. Erin Allen (BEL) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) – 6-7, 6-4, 10-8
4. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Drew Hawkins (BEL) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Lily Holmes (UTC) def. Terra Sheldon (BEL) – 6-2, 6-3
6. Callie Billman (UTC) def. Maria Plaksina (BEL) – 6-2, 5-7, 10-7
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2