NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team defeated the Western Carolina Catamount 6-1 at Ensworth Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
The Bruins grabbed the doubles point quickly, as they started off with a win by default in the No. 3 spot. The sophomore tandem of Somer Henry and Peyton Lee clinched the point with a 6-2 victory over Jordan Strickland and Emily Elliot in the first spot.
In singles, Belmont grabbed the first set on five of six courts. Junior Maria Plaksina was awarded a win by default, while Henry took out Strickland in the top spot 6-3, 6-2. The junior trio of Erin Allen, Drew Hawkins and Terra Sheldon closed out the day with straight-set wins over their respective opponents.
Lee dropped the Bruins' only match of afternoon in a hard-fought three-set battle with Jacy Smith, who came out on top 6-4, 6-7, 10-6.
UP NEXT: Belmont (2-1) will hit the road for the first time in the spring season to take on the Chattanooga Mocs Friday at 6 p.m.
BELMONT 6, WESTERN CAROLINA 1
1. Somer Henry (BEL) def. Jordan Strickland (WCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jacy Smith (WCU) def. Peyton Lee (BEL) 6-4, 6-7, 10-6
3. Erin Allen (BEL) def. Carli Deehr (WCU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Drew Hawkins (BEL) def. Emily Elliott (WCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Terra Sheldon (BEL) def. Lauren McCall (WCU) 7-6, 5-2
6. Maria Plaksina (BEL) def. No player (WCU), by default
1. Somer Henry/Peyton Lee (BEL) def. Jordan Strickland/Emily Elliott (WCU) 6-2
2. Jacy Smith/Lauren McCall (WCU) vs. Lauren Carelli/Drew Hawkins (BELW) no result
3. Erin Allen/Terra Sheldon (BEL) def. No player/No player (WCU), by default